Tel.: +358 44 06 36 468 (Finland), +974 6694 6693 (Qatar)
Office: Rehtoripellonkatu 3, 20500 Turku, Finland; Qatar Computing Research Institute, Doha, Qatar
Joni works as a postdoctoral researcher at Turku School of Economics at the University of Turku, and Qatar Computing Research Institute, Hamad Bin Khalifa University. His doctoral dissertation focused on strategic challenges of platform startups. Joni is currently studying collaboration between startups and corporations, automatic persona generation (APG) from social media data (YouTube, Facebook, Google Analytics), and the societal impact of machine decision-making.
Joni has more than 5 years of experience in digital marketing as a marketing manager in Elämyslahjat.fi, an ecommerce company. During this time, they have growed sales from 100k€ to more than 2M€ mainly by using Google AdWords, Facebook Ads, email marketing, SEO, and conversion optimization. Joni occassionally consults startups and small companies on potential of online marketing.
Joni is a passionate teacher with experience in teaching digital marketing, services marketing, and startup marketing. His teaching philosophy relies on hands-on focus, combining theoretical and practical insights to help students realize what matters.
Joni’s students have won several international digital marketing competitions, including:
- Google Online Marketing Challenge (European Business Award, 2013)
- Google Online Marketing Challenge (European Business Award, 2016)
- Facebook Global Digital Challenge (2015)
Some of Joni’s teaching material is available at Slideshare, mostly in Finnish.
- Salminen, J., Şengün, S., Kwak, H., Jansen, B. J., An, J., Jung, S., Vieweg, S., Harrell, F. (2018). From 2,772 segments to five personas: Summarizing a diverse online audience by generating culturally adapted personas. First Monday, 23(6).
- Salminen, J., Almerekhi, H., Milenković, M., Jung, S., An, J., Kwak, H., & Jansen, B. J. (2018). Anatomy of Online Hate: Developing a Taxonomy and Machine Learning Models for Identifying and Classifying Hate in Online News Media. In Proceedings of the International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 2018), San Francisco, California, USA, 25–28 June.
- Salminen, J., Gach, N., & Kaartemo, V. (2018). Platform as a Social Contract: An Analytical Framework for Studying Social Dynamics in Online Platforms. In A. Smedlund (Ed.), Collaborative Value Co-creation in the Platform Economy (Vol. 11). Springer.
- Salminen, J., Nielsen, L., An, J., Jung, S.G., Kwak, H., and Jansen, B. J. (2018). “Is More Better?”: Impact of Multiple Photos on Perception of Persona Profiles. In Proceedings of The ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI2018), Montréal, Canada, 21–26 April.
- Salminen, J. (2014). Startup Dilemmas – Strategic Problems of Early-Stage Platforms on the Internet. Dissertation, Publications of Turku School of Economics, Series A-12:2014. ISBN: 978-952-249-371-2.
Life in pictures
I like playing floorball.
I have a niece who is six years old.
I used to work in Disneyland.
I sometimes teach using memes.
Finland is the country of thousands of lakes.
More in Facebook.